Are you an adult learner thinking of going back to school? Are you considering taking courses for personal or professional development? Does your profession require continuing education credit hours?
More than 40 percent of Americans enrolled in colleges are adult learners – students who are 25 years old or older - and many colleges and universities are just starting to consider their diverse needs. This growing demographic tends to be ambitious, capable, and eager to learn.
Below are five reasons why, as an adult learner, you can not only succeed but excel when you enroll in online courses or go back to school.
- Focus – You know what you want, why you want it, and how important succeeding is to your personal life or career.
- Ability to multitask – You most likely already juggle work and family obligations and have become skilled at using your time wisely. You understand the importance of time management to get everything done in your busy day.
- Goal setting – You have clear objectives and goals. You know why you are taking these courses, what you hope the outcome will be (new career, promotion) and that will motivate you to put in the necessary time and effort to do your very best.
- Experience - You have skills amassed in your life (either running a household or in the professional world) that will help you excel in your endeavors.
- Realistic Expectations – You know it’s not going to be easy. You are going to do everything that you can to set yourself up for success, but you understand that there will be nights when you might have to hold a baby instead of a textbook. You’ve learned to communicate better too at your age – you can honestly let an instructor know of time constraints and struggles and work out a satisfactory solution. Remember, your instructors want you to succeed!
Ed4Career makes it easy to pursue your personal learning and professional development goals. We have valuable resources built into our programs and curriculum to help ensure student success. We also have skilled Educational Consultants on staff, and we offer an Online Student Center as well as Career Coaching. Visit us today to learn more about the Ed4Career difference!