Administrative assistants perform a variety of clerical duties and office tasks. Some of the most common tasks performed by administrative assistants, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, include the following:
- Answer telephones, take messages and transfer calls
- Schedule appointments and update event calendars
- Organize staff meetings
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail and faxes
- Edit documents
- Maintain databases and filing systems, both paper and electronic
- Perform basic bookkeeping
Administrative assistants have the opportunity to work in different environments. The four most common types of administrative assistants are executive administrative assistants, legal administrative assistants, medical administrative assistants and administrative assistants that do not fall into one of the other three categories. The Bureau of Labor Statistics offers information on each type of administrative assistant.
- Executive administrative assistants provide support for high level executives within an organization. They may be asked to handle more complex responsibilities such as preparing reports, conducting research and reviewing income documents. They may also have the responsibility of supervising clerical staff.
- Legal administrative assistants prepare summons, motions and subpoenas under the direct supervision of an attorney or paralegal. They are required to have an understanding of legal terminology and may be asked to review legal journals to verify quotations and other information in legal briefs.
- Medical administrative assistants are expected to continue to increase in demand, according to BLS.gov, due to the aging of baby boomers and the need for more healthcare providers. They are expected to have a basic understanding of medical terminology as they may have the responsibility of dictating for physicians and medical scientists. They may also be asked to prepare laboratory orders and get simple medical histories from patients.
- Administrative assistants that do not fall into one of the other three categories are the most common. They work in schools, government buildings and private companies. They are often the first face people see when they walk into a business or school.
Belay Solutions has a fantastic article for employers that lists reasons to hire an executive assistant from home. As a military spouse who relocates often, this opportunity is a possibility for you. While many assistants work within an office setting, many businesses are hiring top talent in the industry from a remote location. Allowing employees to work from home has proven to increase productivity and employee satisfaction. Relocating and being able to keep employment with the same company is ideal for military spouses.
If you are organized, enjoy working with people and have great verbal and written communication skills, be sure to check out our Administrative Assistant Professional Program today!
Ed4Career is happy to offer a variety of business management courses including the Complete Career Training Administrative Assistant Professional Program which includes a complete bundle of courses including Administrative Assistant, Microsoft® Office (MOS) 2016, Technical Writing, Keyboarding Made Easy, Become Confident and Assertive and Email Etiquette: Netiquette.
Upon successful completion of our Administrative Assistant course, students will be prepared for an entry-level job as an Administrative Assistant in an office setting and to sit for the NCCB national certification exam to become a Certified Administrative Assistant (CAA).
Upon successful completion of our Microsoft Office 2016 course, students will be prepared to sit for Microsoft Office certification exams to become a Microsoft® Office Specialist (MOS). Only one exam is required for the MOS certification. This course prepares you for the following Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exams: Exam 77-725: MOS: Microsoft Office Word 2016, Exam 77-727: MOS: Microsoft Office Excel 2016, Exam 77-729: MOS: Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2016, Exam 77-731: MOS: Microsoft Office Outlook 2016, Exam 77-730: MOS: Microsoft Office Access 2016.