We’ve all heard the phrase “If you love your job, you’ll never work another day in your life.” Job satisfaction and career happiness are important – let’s face it, many of us spend a majority of our waking hours working. The following statistics provide a glimpse into the current state of the workplace.
- 65% of American workers are satisfied in their jobs, up from 49% in 2011 (Aflac)
- 60% of employees report being stressed all or most of the time at work (Udemy)
- 38% of workers say their happiness impacts their performance at work (One4all)
- 68% of men and 72% of women say work is more than just a means to making a living (Sharefile)
Working in a career that brings you happiness, and that can provide the needed income to support yourself, is possible and should be a priority. People who do what they love can experience the following benefits:
- Increased productivity and motivation. If you enjoy what you do, you will feel inspired to push through any difficult times in your career.
- Increased overall health. Unhappiness and stress can cause headaches, increased blood pressure, mental health issues and more. Enjoying what you do will benefit your health – both physically and psychologically.
- Increased positivity. Those around you will benefit from your enjoying what you do. Many times, we bring the stress from the outside world into our homes. By loving what you do, you’ll be more apt to bring the joy in; and leave negativity out. You will have more energy for your family, friends and outside interests.
- Increased success. We all like working with someone who enjoys their job. Having a can-do attitude and the energy to do your best will impress both customers and colleagues alike.
- Increased self-esteem. Happiness extends into every aspect of our life. If you feel good about yourself, you will project yourself confidently and seek out opportunities for growth. Doing what you love can provide you with a sense of purpose, which can be positively shown in your attitude.
Military spouses face the reality that every couple of years, they will most likely need to pack up their homes and pick up their career with each and every PCS. For these men and women, it's not only about finding a career that they love, but one that is portable and can move with them. Military Spouse Career Education and Ed4Career understand how difficult that can be, and they've teamed together to provide portable career training for military spouses. These careers are in fields that more easily allow you to start working again at your new station as soon as possible.
Will we all love our jobs every day? No. No matter what career you choose, there will always be tasks that you don’t enjoy, deadlines and difficult days. But finding a career that brings personal happiness, that fills you with hope, motivation and energy is possible. We all should enjoy the way that we spend our days, so why not explore a career in a field that you love?
Explore online career training programs in a variety of industries. Our courses can lead to certification in specific fields, giving you a leg up on the competition. Contact us today to learn how you can take that first step towards a career you will love!