What’s special about adult learners?
1. They prefer information to be relatable and appreciate real-life experiences and situations being incorporated into their lessons.
2. They appreciate being able to work on their own schedule. Adult learners are often selecting online courses because of the flexibility of doing coursework around other commitments.
3. These learners come from a wide variety of academic and professional backgrounds. Therefore, they learn best from courses that Include a mixture of learning materials; textbooks, podcasts, charts and graphs, images, etc.
4. Adult learners like to engage on social media and in a course’s online chat room. This gives them the opportunity to get to know other online students, share information and insight, and build a community of support.
5. Adult learners often deal with a variety of other commitments in addition to school including family and work. Time management is key for the adult learner, and it’s important for both the learner and the instructor to understand there may be bumps along the way.
6. These learners are motivated by progress. Courses that include milestones so that learners can track their progress are appealing to this group. By visually seeing goals accomplished, online adult learners will stay motivated to continue.
7. They learn by doing. If the course subject matter allows, it’s important to provide learners with opportunities to put what they’ve learned into practice.
8. Regular breaks in online lesson plans will ensure that these students have time to absorb the information they have just learned.
Ed4Online understands the way adults want to learn and how they learn the best. We currently offer one of the largest proprietary career vocational certification catalogs available on the market today, and in our ongoing desire to offer the best we are constantly updating and improving our courses and our course selection. Each of our courses is designed by top-level curriculum designers and structured in a user-friendly and logical format.
Our curriculum design staff creates each course based on Best Practices, with the knowledge of online adult learning principles so that the student gains a better understanding of the topic they are studying through reinforcing the concepts. Our courses are self-paced and incorporate a variety of learning methods and varied multi-media. This type of learning encourages adults to see their education as a portal to ongoing life-long learning about themselves, their world, and their industry.
Ed4Online offers hundreds of courses in 4 distinct areas of online education: 1) Career Vocational Training (Not-for-credit), 2) Personal Enrichment, 3) For Credit College Classes, and 4) Professional Development Training.
Contact us and get started right away!